Do You Have Good Brushing Habits?
posted: Jan. 27, 2021.
If you’re like most people, daily brushing has become such a routine habit that you barely even think about it anymore. However, that doesn’t necessarily mean that you’re doing a good job. You may even be brushing your teeth incorrectly.
Dr. Jennifer G. Robb is a dentist in Lorain, where she provides full general and cosmetic dental services.
How to Develop a Good Oral Hygiene Technique
Lorain residents will find that following these tips will help them to develop good brushing habits and maintain healthy teeth and gums.
- Choose a good soft or medium bristled toothbrush with an angled head.
- Your toothpaste should contain fluoride and may also contain a tooth whitener.
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day.
- Leave at least 20 minutes after a meal before brushing.
- Brush all surfaces of your teeth with a slight rotation movement.
- Brushing should take about two minutes.
- Floss at least once each day, preferably before you go to bed.
- Rinse with a non-alcohol mouth wash.
- Maintain a healthy diet; avoid excess sugar.
- Quit smoking.
- Visit your dentist every six months for an exam and professional cleaning.
Maintaining good brushing habits is important. It can protect your teeth from decay and your gums from gingivitis and periodontitis. It can also prevent tooth loss and save you money in dental fees. As well as brushing it is important to get regular dental checkups. That way, if you do have a problem with your teeth or gums, your dentist will be able to spot it straight away and treat it before it develops into a serious issue.
If you live in or around Lorain and you are looking for a dentist, give Dr. Robb a call today at (440) 960-1940 to schedule an appointment for a consultation.